Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Great Outdoors!

Recreating outdoors is my favorite pastime.  The outdoor activities I enjoy most are; exploring nature, hiking, biking, horseback riding, metal detecting, fishing, kayaking, sporting clay shooting, and hunting. Some would call me an outdoor recreational enthusiast.  It’s ok by me, because being outdoors has diverse benefits. More people should experience being outside and participating in different outdoor recreational sports.
Spending time outdoors has always been fun for me. This may sound crazy to you but before I was four years old I remember walking back deep into the woods with my little friends to catch tadpoles, frogs and critters. It was our daily pastime, and we couldn’t wait to fill our buckets. Once I remember catching a large milk snake early in the morning and carrying it into my mother who was still sleeping soundly in her bed. This was the first time I realized how terrified she was of snakes.
For my wife and I there is no better place to get the exercise we need to help us stay physically and mentally fit, than in the outdoors. We’ve been together now for 35 years and spent a lot of time outside recreating.
A great outdoor activity I would recommend trying is hiking.  If you’re just starting out, a 3-4 mile hike should take you less than an hour to complete. You can figure walking about one mile in 15-18 minutes. My wife and I like to hike through Michigan State and also National Parks. State and National Parks all have great maps available for you to locate the trail that suits your needs. For additional hiking options, click on this Pure Michigan link.  http://www.michigan.org/Things-to-Do/Outdoors/Hiking/Default.aspx  
Kayaking is another great activity; everyone should try at least once.  Two weeks ago my wife and I went on a full moon paddle down the Shiawassee River in Linden with about 25 people.  The trip started in the evening and as the sun set behind us in the west a full moon rose in the east. It’s an awesome feeling to be enveloped in nature in a little kayak, calmly floating down a stream like a leaf.
Today, studies show people who play outside are healthier both mentally and physically. A quote from the National Park Service (2006) Committee on Health and Recreation states..“Increasingly, scientific evidence points to the fact that the American public needs to increase their level of physical activity to improve overall health and wellbeing. Recreational attributes inherent to National Parks play a vital role in what is now emerging as a powerful prescription for our nation's health: physically active outdoor recreation”.
Besides being very inexpensive, I know recreating in the outdoors has benefited my wife and I in at least two more ways over the years. It’s helped us to keep fit and relieved stress. If you’re not already getting  your fix outside please find a friend and get out, in our great outdoors!

4 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on the outdoor enthusiasts, I believe that describes me too. I enjoy a crisp morning walk and enjoy peace and serenity of the wakening of the day. I do bow hunt so that is a event I am looking forward to. My best thing in taking my horse for a quiet morning ride, listening to everything around you and watching as the sun rises. Autumn is my favorite time of year, and I enjoy the beauty of this season, from the way the sky looks, to the changing of the leaves, and listening to the ground as I walk. You can smell the season in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing really opens my eyes and imagination to the beauty of outdoor activities. I've never been the outdoors type, scared of everything that moves, but I agree with you that the beauty of nature relieves stress and is naturally peaceful. The link is also a great resource for readers to learn more information as well as the findings from the National Park Service. This is a really great read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, I'm an outdoor lover as well. Nothing beats a great sunrise or sunset. Every year I take a trip out west. Sleep outdoors in a sleeping bag under the stars. Life doesn't get any better than that.

    I enjoyed reading your piece and agree that the Great Outdoors is excellent exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love being outdoors. Hunting, fishing, sports, you name it! Growing up on a farm in Columbiaville I was ALWAYS outside. I don't understand how kids these days can spend sooo much time on video games and watching tv. You wonder why our society has such a problem with obesity in our youth, its acutally very unfortunate. Anyways great piece, loved reading it!

    ReplyDelete